Tuesday 11 October 2011

Research - Practice Music Video

To ensure that my 'Radar Love' 30 second music video opening appealed to the target audience, I researched into similar videos of that genre. As I do not listen to this genre personally, I had no idea of the codes and conventions of this style of music. As a result, I looked at similar videos displayed on the right hand side of the 'Radar Love' video itself on youtube. This showed me similar videos to the one I was producing. 
After watching a few of these I found out some similarities that would appeal. As I am meant to be focusing on practising performance only genre during this task, I found it helpful to find most of these video were mainly performance anyway. The style of performance was very simple, often filmed all together with some close ups on instruments as they start to come in and then a focus on the singer when the lyrics start.
As for costume, they are usually dressed in an indie style, a shirt and jeans is what I have found the most common to be. From this I made sure my lead singer had that indie look about him and dressed the part, in order for it to appeal and be a convincing music video.
As these bands are mainly from the 60's/70's it means that technology was not yet up to the high standard it is now. This means the videos have that old vintage look about them and the colour. Alternatively, they are in black and white. This is something I may try to achieve and experiment with in the colour grading process of my editing.

David Essex - Rock On
Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild

No comments:

Post a Comment