Wednesday 26 October 2011

Research - Music Video


'Make Her Say' - Kid Cudi Ft. Kanye West & Common

I love this music video for 'Make Her Say' by Kid Cudi and think the split screens used the whole way through the video is very unique and by having them consistently the same size and placement makes it work so effectively very simply. The video uses different shots or angles of the same narrative and or performance and combines them together using the split screen effect. I think it shows a distortion of reality, especially in the mirrored shots, which isn't often a technique used in this genre of music, giving the target audience an unexpected visual experience to the music.
I think that how they have edited together two different shots of the same performance, as seen on Common's verse, looks really professionally edited as the timing is perfect meaning both shots match exactly to the lyrics. I know from my own practice music video task that it would take a lot of time and precision to get right as I had trouble making my own actors lip syncing look perfectly on time.
I really like the idea of using split screens and think it would look effective for my narrative shots as I am thinking of showing two points of view. With this technique, I could have them both showing at the same time. This would keep to the creative style of video my chosen band use in their own real music videos.



No comments:

Post a Comment