Saturday 1 October 2011

Research - CD Covers


Young Guns - All Our Kings Are Dead
For this project, I will have to look into CD covers and 'Digipaks' for one of my ancillary tasks. Now that I have chosen what song I want to do, I am able to go look further into that specific genre of music to see what they have done for their own covers and digipaks. 
The first CD cover I will look at is 'All Our Kings Are Dead' as it is the debut album of the band who I am using for my final music video project.
The imagery on the cover much relates to the tiles of the album, 'All Our Kings Our Dead'. We see a lion wearing a crown of thorns. This depicts the king of the jungle, the lion. The crown of thorns relates back to Jesus' crown of thorns when he died on the cross. The album cover depicts the title well as it shows the king of the jungle dying the way one of the most important figures of the world died. 
The typography on the cover is bold and powerful, looking quite majestic and with curled, vine like illustration, much like what is surrounding the lions head. In contrast to this, the title of the album is much smaller and in a plain font, making it less obvious. This can connote the contrast in power, showing one side of being all powerful like a king and the other, small with no power at all. The lack of colour on the cover suggests again that power has faded away.
Overall, the album depicts the title, not so much the songs on it. The song I have chosen has quite a strong and clear meaning title which means it could be easy to follow in this literal path for my over cover and digipak. However, I will look further into similar genres and see what other conventions and similarities there are.

No comments:

Post a Comment